The Formula for a Lux Master Bedroom

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

As I'm sure you remember, Friday our post was about our master bedroom transformation. It wasn't anything too dramatic, but with a bed-switch, some decorative shifting, and general organization occurring, our room was looking spiffy. Slowly this room is shaping into the room that I have envisioned all along.

Yet, there is still something about it that is bothering me. I'm sure you think I'm crazy--heck I even question my sanity from time to time-- but I think its the color that is bothering me. If you look around the rest of our house the colors are soft and more muted. I wouldn't call them pastels, but they aren't as saturated as our bedroom's color. Don't get me wrong, I love the color in our bedroom, but every time I go up there, I can't help but think that it would look so much nicer if it was a bit softer. I would love to add some gray to it. Maybe I would like something similar to the blue in our living room rug.

This color is called Palladian Blue and I have mentioned it before, but don't you think it is beautiful? So soft and soothing. I would love to do something more along the lines of this color. So, that being said, I don't think that's all that needs to be changed. I would love to add more texture to the space. I have been looking around Pinterest for a bit of inspiration and I came across this picture:

Isn't that white planked wall to die for!? I mentioned it to Jonathan and he rolled his eyes and asked if I was kidding. 

"No, love, I'm being completely serious. I think we should cover our beautiful wall with a bunch of scrap wood and paint it all white." 

Yea. That went over real well. 

Poor guy. He has to live with a wife who is perpetually trying to make things look a certain way. I have a very particular design-eye and when something is off, it just bothers me to no end. Sometimes I know what is bothering me, other times I just move furniture around, re-accessorize, and visualize a different color scheme till I come up with the answer. Unfortunately I'm still learning how to get everything "right." But isn't this just all part of the process? For me it's fun!!

Yup. Again. I realize I'm crazy. 

Anyways, since I can't really go in and change our bedroom in one fell swoop, I figured that I could just write a post about where I would like to get to eventually. It may take years, but at least I have a plan. Let's take a look shall we?


First things first, I would like to create a focal point by covering the wall behind our bed with paneling. I would love to use the process that The Lettered Cottage used to panel a ceiling. See this post for details. It seems like a pretty straightforward project and I really don't think it would cost us more than fifty beans. For all the texture and visual interest it would add, the money would be worth it.


Another thing that I would love to do is work on defining the area next to our bed. I mentioned that in this post, but I still am dreaming up ideas as to what it should look like. I'm thinking a cozy book nook or maybe even a desk area.



I would also love to add something to cover our closet. Jonathan and I have plans in the long run to add some "barn doors" that have become very popular in design lately. Yet, that is very expensive. So the other thought is maybe doing some curtains. A friend of ours recently recommended this to me and, the more that I think about it, I absolutely love the idea! I'm starting to look into it as a possible permanent option too.


Finally, I think there is some general design tweaking that needs to occur. A few things off the top of my head are: I need to figure out a way to cover our box spring that always peeks out over our bed frame. I would like to either carpet the entire upstairs or buy a bigger area rug.


Then we really need to do something about the horrible dresser that we have. It was a hand-me-down from my grandparents and we painted it black to match our bed, but it is in really bad shape. Finally, I really want to add some luxury to our space--I'm thinking a duvet for the bed and different curtains for the windows.


Obviously this is all just dreaming and would cost WAY more than I am willing to spend or even interested in spending right now. But a girl can dream can't she?

What do you think? Am I crazy for thinking the wall color needs to change? Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? 


7 comments :

  1. How about a dust ruffle to cover the box spring? I have them on 3 of the 4 beds in our house. They also help hide anything stored under the bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely and option that I have been thinking about Aunt Beth! I have been contemplating that idea and one that I saw on Pinterest where someone wrapped the box spring in fabric. I loved the idea because the fabric would stay in place and I wouldn't have to worry about it moving around constantly. I'm still trying to decide though :)

      Delete
  2. I like the wall color. The floor color I think maybe makes the walls look harder then they are? I love the soft blues, whites, yellows, but my eyes see the floor color first. But as you've seen my house...i'm not the greatest with this stuff :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cristale, you are so right!!! I agree! I think the red of the floor does throw everything off! We cannot wait to carpet or put laminate down. And you definitely have an eye for color; I love your decorating style!

      Delete
    2. by the way I love love your bed! I love that head board

      Delete
  3. Your walls would look awesome as more of a gray color. That blue is awful, and gray looks awesome with yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Gray is awesome with yellow--that is the color scheme for our bathroom :) Hmm..definitely a thought! Thanks for the input!

      Delete

We would love to hear what you think :) We always like feedback around here!